Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Book Worm

Now that I have two weeks off from grad school until my Summer courses begin, I finally have time for that mythical thing I've heard about: reading for pleasure

In looking for a book, I wanted to focus on something a little deeper than my usual reads and stumbled upon Better by Atul Gawande. My fiance got this book at a med school book exchange and has been encouraging me to read it for some time now. I'm only one chapter in and already I'm hooked.

Better by Atul Gawande. And my faux glasses.

While this book is technically geared toward those in the medical field, as all the anecdotes are from Dr. Gawande's personal experiences, the deeper meaning can be applied to anyone's life. The main theme throughout the book is going above the minimum and how seemingly small steps can really create something better. It's self help meets Grey's Anatomy (minus McSteamy unfortunately) and was just the thing I needed to elevate my books for pleasure from Harry Potter to something a little more adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment