Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Met Gala: The Good, The Bad, and Kim Kardashian

So, the Met Gala, aka my second favorite night of fashion right behing the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, was last night. The theme was Punk and man, did the majority of attendees completely miss the mark or what?!

When I think "punk" I think plaid, leather, studs, and hair. I'm convinced, however that all these celebrities' stylists thought the theme was "Black Swan," seeing how there was an abundance of feathers and over-the-top black eye makeup. Now, you may be thinking, "How does she even know anything about punk?" Well, my friends, I present you this picture from my freshman year of high school to squash any doubts about my punk credentials:

No, seriously. I was that cool.
I don't know why, but actresses seem to miss the mark of the Met Gala. So often, they go either too much to the theme or not enough. To me, the real stars of the Met Gala each year are the models. They are not afraid to take risks, and these risks almost always pay off.

 So onto the Met Gala's Best and Worst Dressed. And Kim Kardashian. She gets a category all her own.

The Good:
Gwen Stefani in Maison Martin Margiela

Rooney Mara in Givenchy

Sienna Miller in Burberry. Now THIS is how you do studs.

Christina Ricci in Vivienne Westwood. I'm really surprised that we didn't see more VW this year!

The Bad:
Ashley Greene in Marchesa. Not only does this dress make her look bigger than she is, but the theme is PUNK and the only thing punk about this dress is that it has black in it.
La La Anthony. Am I the only one who is reminded of Tara Reid's nip slip by this gown?
Lily Collins in Moschino. Now I love me some Lily Collins, but she simply tried too hard with this look. Take off the jacket and she might've been in the Good category.
Dylan Lauren. If your dad is Ralph Lauren, you have no excuse to not be the best dressed. And while this dress is stunning, this is the Met Gala, the one place you can dress as crazy as you've ever wanted.

The Models:
The Queen of the Met Gala, Gisele Bundchen in Anthony Vaccarello. Just the right amount of punk without looking like she's in a costume.

Cara Delevigne in Burberry. Studs galore, plunging neck line, and a simple, flowing skirt. I'm dying right now.

Doutzen Kroes in Theyskens Theory. Finally, the leather that everyone seemed to forget about!

Heidi Klum in Marchesa. This looks like what I wore to my senior prom. Again, why would you go to Marchesa for a punk theme?!
Karlie Kloss in Louis Vuitton. One of the rare occasions where a model gets it wrong. This looks like what Kate Gosselin would wear if she were invited to the Met Gala - hairstyle and all!

Black Swan?

Jessica Pare in Jason Wu. This look would be fantastic if she didn't ruin it with the Black Swan-esque eye make up!

Elle Fanning in Rodarte. Is it just me or does her makeup make her face look lopsided?

Ginnifer Goodwin in Tory Burch. Another case of a beautiful look being ruined by Natalie Portman's "Black Swan" makeup artist apparently.

Alexis Stoudmire. So. Many. Feathers.

Kirsten Dunst in Rodarte. Again with the feathers!

Last and, let's be honest, least, Kim Kardashian in Riccardo Tisci:

It looks like she forgot she was going to the event, took her grandmother's drapes, and then just wrapped herself up in them. And then made gloves and shoes out of the scraps. At least her makeup is flawless?

All in all, I was quite disappointed with fashion's interpretation on Punk. Alexander McQueen is rolling over in his grave right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment