Monday, May 6, 2013

Melanoma Monday!

Contrary to the implication of this post's title, Melanoma Monday will NOT be a recurring weekly segment. Really, it's only because both Melanoma and Monday begin with an "M" and I just read a good article from Women's Health on the topic. I'll try to keep this post from being too preachy.

If a dermatologist looked at my Melanoma credentials, he/she would probably lock me in a room where there is no chance of any sun reaching me. I have (awesomely) red hair, my mom had Melanoma when she was in her 20s and her father (my grandpa) died of it in his 70s. I fried my skin at the beach when I was younger and in tanning beds in college (this is the one thing I will always lie to my parents and my dermatologist about to avoid a lecture). And I've had too many abnormal mole biopsies to count.

The embarrassing thing is that it's not any of those biopsies or family history that got my to take my skin health seriously. It was this picture:

This photo of Bill McElligott, a delivery truck driver, shows the real damage sun can have on one's skin
So no, it hasn't been the fear of cancer that has gotten me to repent for my skin sins, it was vanity. But no matter the reason, my vanity will hopefully prevent me both from looking like the right side of that picture, and from having a drastic scar from having Melanoma removed.

Ok, I'm done preaching. Below are my go-to everything for protecting my skin from the sun's harmful rays.

The whole reason we fry ourselves in the sun and tanning beds is for the look. And I'll be honest,  I feel prettier when I'm tan. Jergen's Natural Glow is awesome and they just released a version with no odor (so you won't smell like soy sauce anymore)! I haven't tried the odorless kind, but I'll take their word for it.
      
Neutrogena Age Shield Face SPF 110. Yes, I know SPF 110 is a little overkill, but when it comes to SPF, the more the merrier, I say. I slather this on my face, neck, and chest every morning. And anywhere else where skin is exposed. (Fun fact: many women get Melanoma and extreme sun damage on their chest, even if they wear sunscreen daily, because they leave it out during their morning routine!)
The skin around your eyes is super sensitive. I always wear sunglasses to block UV rays and especially like the classic Ray-Ban aviators. They give extra coverage and will never go out of style.
wide-brim hat protects your face, neck, and chest from the sun, all while keeping you looking super chic for a day at the beach.
When I first became obsessed with my skin, I tried to stay indoors as much as possible, which, honestly, was really boring. And I felt like a vampire. But my mom passed along some advice that HER DERMATOLOGIST told her: don't be afraid fo the sun. Instead, just be smart and cover up! After all, modesty is so in style right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment